Sunday 31 May 2015

K069. Jesus said, If you love me, feed my sheep

 In K048, I wrote, Jesus said, If you love me, keep my commandments. This He said it to all His disciples. But I realise that Jesus gave a different commandment to Peter after Peter denied Him three times.
Joh 21:15-17 KJV  So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.  (16)  He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.  (17)  He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

I do not write to tell you that you must keep His commandments again (I believe that all of us have already known that); I just want to say that Jesus may tell us to do different things based on our love for Him.When Peter loved (phileo) Him, he was asked to feed His lambs. Jesus then asked him, Lovest (agape) thou me? But Peter said, Thou knowest that I love (phileo) thee. However, when Jesus asked Peter a third time, Lovest (phileo) thou me? Peter could not hold his grief. Peter realised that the Lord was testing him while recalling how he could have boasted and said, "I would always agape thee; not just phileo thee" or "I would never deny you". But Peter humbled himself (with tears in his eyes) and said "I phileo thee" a third time. Jesus, knowing that Peter had submitted, gave him the command to feed His sheep.

The lesson that I learn from Peter is not just about Peter's submission to the Lord. I learn that there are different levels of love for the Lord and different ways of loving the Lord too.
1. Different levels of love for the Lord are: phileo love, agape love, .. etc
2. Different ways of loving the Lord are: keeping His words, keeping His commandments, and feed His sheep

A preacher may keep a different commandment if he loves the Lord
Many of us think that, if we love the  Lord, all of us must study the Bible for x number of hours, keep x number of commandments, or do x number of good things .. However, I learn that this may not be the case. I learn that, if we love the Lord, we could be asked to do different things or different commandments. Hence, a preacher could show how much he loves the Lord by the way how he teaches, warns, feeds, trains, and shepherds the sheep too. On the other hand, a false prophet will show how much he hates the Lord by the way how he deceives, misleads, exploits, brainwashes, or hypnotises the Lord's sheep. A preacher who does not love the Lord will always teaches the sheep to do nothing, live foolishly, walk in the lawless assumptions of men, and keep no more commandments of God.

Do we know what does it mean to keep no more commandments of God? It is like keeping no more oil for the lamp of God like the foolish virgins:
Mat 25:1-8 KJV, Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.  ..  (8)  And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
Psa 119:98-109 KJV  Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me. (99) I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation .. (101) I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word.  (102)  I have not departed from thy judgments: for thou hast taught me.  (103)  How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!  (104)  Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.  (105)  NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. ..  (109)  My soul is continually in my hand: yet do I not forget thy law.

A preacher who loves the Lord will not teach His sheep to do nothing
Many 'rest' preachers or radical grace preachers today say, "Of course, we love the Lord. But we do not teach the sheep to do good and keep any commandment. Instead, we teach them to do nothing, urr,  I mean we tell them to rest. Do you know why the sheep asked the Lord, When did we  see you thirsty and give you drink .. It means that the sheep will just do good without knowing it and we do not need to teach them, warn them, or encourage them to do good or keep any commandment."
Mat 25:37-40 KJV  Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?  (38)  When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?  (39)  Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?  (40)  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

I will ask them to read the Bible passage again, How do you know that the sheep (who did good) did not know that they did good? Of course, the sheep knew that they did good; but only that they did not know that they did it to the Lord. Similarly, the goats knew that they did nothing for others; but they did not know that they did nothing for the Lord.
This is a prophetic judgement against those who will come and deceive the sheep or the goats. Many sheep or goats (who are deceived) will not know that when they do good, they do it to the Lord. Many believers (including the sheep who do good) will still think that doing good is a self-effort (a good effort done for themselves and from themselves or just a 'do good get good' effort) not knowing that it is a fruit they do unto the Lord when they have the laws of God in their hearts. However, if the sheep are always deceived to listen and follow only the radical teaching of the false prophets, they may one day become the goats who will be asked to depart from the Lord's presence. 

They may keep arguing that they are justified by faith alone. However, in the last days when false prophets will rise and preach against the doctrine of Christ with their radical philosophies or lawless argument, many ignorant believers will be corrupted and become the goats (even though they may have the faith). They may think that they are forever justified without keeping any commandment of God, and they will go around using the vain lawless arguments of the false preachers to challenge the believers who will still obey and do good in the Lord. They cannot understand or accept what James had already warned them in his letters:
Jas 2:17-26 KJV  Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. ..  (19)  Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.  (20)  But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?  (21)  Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?  (22)  Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?.. (26)  For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

::

No comments:

Post a Comment