Sunday 31 May 2015

K053. Jesus always preached two sides of the 'coin'

Mat 22:14-19 LITV  For many are called, but few chosen.  (15)  Then going, the Pharisees took counsel so as they might trap Him in words.  (16)  And they sent to Him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Teacher, we know that You are true, and teach the way of God in truth, and it does not concern You about anyone, for You do not look to the face of men.  (17)  Then tell us, what do You think? Is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar, or not?  (18)  But knowing their wickedness, Jesus said, Why do you test Me, hypocrites?  (19)  Show Me the tribute coin. And they brought a denarius to Him.

I love the way Jesus preach it. He always shows the truth with simple things. In the gospel of Luke above, He used the coin. Although He did not say much about the coin, His illustration shows me clearly that there are always two sides of it: the thing that belongs to God and the thing that belongs to men. When we toss the coin into the air and wait for it to come down, it can land on either side. Hence, the gospel is like the coin; we cannot go around and show the people that all our coins have only one side too.

Similarly, the gospel that Jesus preached has two sides of the coin: Grace is one side of the coin (Lazarus), the other side is Hell (the rich man): Luk 16:22-23 KJV  And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;  (23)  And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

His free invitation to all the sinner is one side of the coin (the call to repentance); the other side is the cross (the call to commitment and sacrifice): Luk 14:23-27 KJV And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges .. .. (25) And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them,  (26)  If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, .. and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.  (27)  And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

God's grace shown to the adulterous woman, the impotent man, the tax collector, and the prodigal son below is one side of the gospel; 'sin no more' with true repentance is the other side:
Joh 8:10-12 KJV .. (11) She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.  (12) Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
Joh 5:14 KJV  Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.
Luk 15:17-18 KJV  And when he came to himself, he said, ..  (18)  I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee .. (31) And he said unto him, Son, .. (32) It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.
Luk 19:8-9 KJV  And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if .. (9) And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.
(1. grace was shown, 2. responded with repentance, and 3. only then would the gospel or salvation be complete.)

How about Paul who always preach grace? Did he also preach two side of the 'coin'? You bet:
Gal 5:18-21 ASV  But if ye are led by the Spirit, ye are not under the law.  (19)  Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these: fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,  (20)  idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousies, wraths, factions, divisions, parties,  (21)  envyings, drunkenness, revellings, and such like; of which I forewarn you, even as I did forewarn you, that they who practise such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
I like this translation because it translates the seriousness of the sins with the word 'forewarn'. Obviously Paul did show us or warn us that there is hell for those who sin and those who cannot inherit the kingdom of God. If we deliberately hide or remove his warning and radically show only one side of the coin, we are not preaching the gospel that Jesus preached. We may preach the gospel of grace radically, fantastically, or beautifully, but it can still be a false gospel without showing the complete truth.

Now we know that grace is one side of the gospel of the kingdom of God, like the coin. But what is grace? Is it always the positive side that we know about, like the blessing, prosperity, peace, and effortless success? Yes? If it is always the positive side, what about suffering? Will it blow our mind if I say that suffering is grace and that it is given by God too?
2Co 12:8-10 KJV  For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.  (9)  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  (10)  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
Paul said it clearly that God has given him grace (the suffering or the infirmities), and he took it with pleasure! What a revelation! What a miracle! Isn't this the power and the gospel of Jesus Christ?

::

No comments:

Post a Comment