Tuesday 2 June 2015

K104. Mat 25:33 KJV And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left

The parable of the sheep and the goats is one of the three parables in Mat 25. It was the Lord's last parable or last words before He was crucified. Many believers do not like it because it sounds too condemning to them as they are afraid that they could not do good to anyone. So, they would just brush it off as a hard saying for the Pharisees or the Jews who were under the law. However, I think that it is a great teaching for the believers and the churches who have the law and Spirit of God to do good. Why?
1. If we read it from the beginning (from Mat 24:3, we know that it was clearly and privately said to His disciples; it was His last words to the disciples.
2. Secondly, the three parables (about the warnings of the 'foolish' virgins, the 'foolish' servant, and the 'foolish' goats) are all relevant lessons which can be taught in our current situation or end time situation for the churches, pastors, and believers.

The parable of the sheep and the goats is a great parable for us
Today I would only explain about the third parable in Mat 25 (about the sheep and the goats). It is certainly not a hard saying to the believers. If it were a hard saying, the parable of the good Samaritan would be a hard saying too. Yes, probably the lawyer or most of the Pharisees would think that the words of the Lord were hard sayings, but the believers should not think so:
 Luk 10:25-26 KJV  And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?  (26)  He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? .. ..  (37) Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?  (37)  And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

The law and Spirit of God to do good is always in the hearts of the believers
Hence, I find that the parable of the good Samaritan and the parable of the sheep and the goat are very similar. Is it because both the Samaritan and the Sheep start with 'S'? No. They both have the law of God or the Spirit of God. I have explained in K102 that the law of God is the Spirit of God. Although the Samaritan might not know Jesus and his good deed cannot save him, Jesus would want all His disciples to know that the law or spirit of doing good must always be in the hearts of those who follow Him. That has been confirmed by His last words or last parable (Mat 25) before He was crucified too. That would seal what He had taught and prevent any confusion after He was crucified (because He knew that many false prophets will arise and deceive many in the last days - Mat 24).
The law and Spirit of God to do good is always in the hearts of the believers because the law and Spirit of God to do good is always in the heart of the Lord too

Many do not like the parable because they do not like to do good
But many will still argue (like the goats in that day), "But .. but .. but we don't butt .. but we are not the goats. We can never be condemned even if we do not do good to anyone. Don't you think that it is scary to miss giving a cup of water to Jesus or anyone ? How can this kind of law teaching be applicable to us?"
Mat 25:41-46 KJV  Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:  (42)  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:  (43)  I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.  (44)  Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?  (45)  Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.  (46)  And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Some do not do good because they do not know their 'neighbours'
I believe that the Lord has spoken to them (the goats who think that they were the sheep). But many did not hear. Many would not want to see any 'neighbour' beside them. Some may think that the 'neighbours' who need helps are the beggars or the hungry people like Lazarus in Luk 16:19-31. Naturally if they don't see any Lazarus, they would think that the parables are not for them. However, Jesus was not talking about the 'physical'; He was talking about the 'spirit'. If our spirit is not right, we can never see any need. Jesus wants the believers to know that all of us are handicapped (or have needs)  in one way or another, but most of us are less handicapped than many others who are the blind, the deaf, the mum, the cripple, or the retarded. If we are truly in Christ, we will know how and when to help many of those who are around us. The Spirit of Christ will not give us the fixed rules or formula to know what kind of poor people or handicapped people we can help; but He would be able to speak to us if we are sensitive enough and we could be the right channel or the right vessel to deliver even a drink to the thirty. This is the law and Spirit of God in all the true believers or SHEEP. 

Some will mock at those who do good
Who say that the words or parable of Jesus was under the law and it was 'do good get good' teaching for the Jews? Please read your Bible again. Yes, the parable of the sheep and the goat is about doing good, but it is not 'do good get good' teaching. The sheep or the churches do not do good to get good; they do good because they love the Lord and the words of God. Those who mock at others who do good can never understand why the sheep, the believers, or the churches of God would do good. In that day, they may still wonder why they must do good and why they are the goats in God's eyes. They may argue with everyone and with the Lord who would not only be interested in we being saved; but also in we being transformed to do good like the sheep.

How will Jesus judge the sheep and the goats?
Can we (the sheep or the goats) do good without seeing a 'Lazarus' at our doorsteps today ? Yes, I believe that Jesus would still say the same thing that He said to the lawyer. Jesus would still show us that there are many 'Lazarus' or 'neighbours' around us. Hence, the sheep who truly belong to Jesus would see more 'Lazarus' around them. Jesus would want us to give a drink or a cup of water to anyone who cross paths with us.
Suppose I was retrenched one day (please take note that this is a hypothetical example).  I tried to look for a decent job for years, but I could not find any, and my saving was depleting. Hence, I was afraid to go out with many friends, especially Christian friends. It was because, whenever I went out with them, I would be under the pressure or pride to show that I was still walking with God, prospering in my soul, doing God's perfect will, and living in God's blessing. Many of them could be my inner circle Christian friends whom I had helped  before. I had always generously paid for their sumptuous meals too because I was doing much better than them. But now they do not seem to understand my situation although they know that I have been retrenched. Some of them would even mock subtly, "Where is your God? Where is your faith that prosper you?"
One day I went out with the same group of friends for fellowship and 'catching up with one another'. Due to my tight budget, I brought them to a fast food restaurant instead, and I ordered a drink for each one of them. However, this time I was quite surprised to hear someone in their midst exclaim, "Friend, let me do the ordering. I would like to buy you a drink too. Would you like to have a coke?"
If you were me, how would you feel? I believe that you would suddenly think very different of him. Compared with all the rest, he stood out as the one who could really touch my heart, even if he would just order only a coke or a cup of plain water for me.

The parable of the sheep and the parable of the good Samaritan are not just the parables of doing good; but the parables of doing God's words
Now, I will ask, Who are the sheep, and who are the goats? Does it mean that all my church friends are sheep just because they are Christians? But, in that day, I am afraid, Jesus may not say so. He said, You are the sheep if .. :
Mat 25:33-40 KJV  And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.  (34)  Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:  (35)  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:  (36)  Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.  (37)  Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?  (38)  When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?  (39)  Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?  (40)  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

::

No comments:

Post a Comment