Wednesday 31 December 2014

Is there law after grace and truth came by Jesus Christ (John 1:17)?

The law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ (John 1:17)
Most preachers who want to preach grace radically would know this Bible verse. Of course, it is all right to quote this Bible verse to preach more about grace. But if our motive or intention of preaching it is just to preach against God's laws and commandments, we have quoted it out of context. When the gospel of John says that the law was given by Moses .., does it mean that we have no more law or commandment from God? No, if that is the spirit or intent of the gospel, it will not tell us to keep God's commandments in John chapter 14 and 15.
Before I explore further on how most radical grace preachers have used this Bible verse to preach against God's laws or commandments, let us read it again:    
  • Joh 1:16-23 KJV  And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.  (17)  For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. .. (19)  And this is the record of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, Who art thou? ..  (23)  He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias.
Now let us set the record straight once and for all. Does it mean that all the law was given by Moses? Of course, not. I may not be certain which law or how many laws were given by Moses; but, I am very certain that not all the laws were given by Moses.


There are two main types of laws
Let us not argue whether the Ten Commandments were given by God or Moses now (I will discuss more about it next time). However, we can know clearly that there are laws given by God, laws given by Moses, laws given by Christ, and laws given by men. To simplify matters, we would not want to talk about the laws given by men; we talk about the laws given by God. The laws given by God, Moses, or Christ, an be classified into two main categories:
  1. The law about Christ (or the law which reveals about the coming of Christ)
  2. and, The law of Christ (or the law which is taught by Christ)
Please think, Which type of law can be obsolete?
Of course, the first type of the law, the law about Christ (or the law of Moses which mirrored the Lord's death, sacrifice, and ministry) could be obsolete after Christ has fulfilled the law.
  • Joh 12:33-34 KJV  This he said, signifying what death he should die.  (34)  The people answered him, We have heard out of the law that Christ abideth for ever: and how sayest thou, The Son of man must be lifted up? who is this Son of man?
  • Luk 24:44-48 KJV  And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.  (45)  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,  (46)  And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:  (47)  And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.  (48)  And ye are witnesses of these things. (Many preachers would preach only the first part of the truth that the law about Christ has been fulfilled. But this will open the eyes of the people only partially if we do not show them that the fulfilment of the law about Christ is to lead us to keep the law of Christ or the doctrine of Christ, with repentance. We should never omit the latter part of the truth in the gospel of Jesus Christ in v47)  
     

However, the second type of the law, the law of Christ, can never become obsolete
Of course, this is common sense; but it is also the truth. If grace and truth came by Jesus Christ; but His words or His law will become obsolete, how can we still believe in grace and truth that is taught by Jesus Christ? Hence, when we preach that grace and truth came by Jesus Christ, we must preach the law of Christ and show the believers that it can never be obsolete; but that it must be in the hearts and mind of all the believers too.
  • Rom 7:21-25 KJV  I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.  (22) For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: (23) But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.  (24)  O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?  (25)  I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. (Unlike the non-believers, all believers of Christ have now the law of Christ in their mind. But another law which is already in the life of all the sinners will keep warring against the law of Christ in our mind - it is the law of sin in the flesh or the old man. It is not subject to the law of God)
  • Rom 8:2-10 KJV  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.  (3)  For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:  (4)  That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.  (5)  For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.  (6)  For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.  (7)  Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.  (8)  So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.  (9)  But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.  (10)  And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
  • 1Co 9:20-21 KJV  And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;  (21)  To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
  • Gal 6:2-9 KJV  Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.  (3)  For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.  (4)  But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.  (5)  For every man shall bear his own burden.  (6)  Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.  (7)  Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.  (8)  For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.  (9)  And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. (Hence, under the law of Christ, of course, it is not just believing or doing nothing)
  • Php 2:5-8 KJV  Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:  (6)  Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:  (7)  But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:  (8)  And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. (Hence, the law of Christ will always start from our mind and it will always remind us of the cross)
  • 1Pe 4:1-6 KJV  Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;  (2)  That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.  (3)  For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:  (4)  Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:  (5)  Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.  (6)  For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
  • 1Pe 1:13-17 KJV  Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;  (14)  As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:  (15)  But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;  (16)  Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.  (17)  And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear: .. (23) Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever .. (25)  But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.(Hence, this is the law of Christ; this is grace.. this is the gospel that we should preach)


The law of Christ will show us that we must be doers of God's words
We now know that the law of Christ is not just believing only; there are laws too. In fact, there are many parables, sayings, words, teachings, doctrine, principles, and commandments of Jesus Christ too.
  • Heb 6:1-3 KJV  Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,  (2)  Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.  (3)  And this will we do, if God permit.
  • Mat 7:24-28 KJV Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: .. (28) And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:  (29)  For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
  • Joh 14:23-25 KJV  Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.  (24)  He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.  (25)  These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
  • Joh 15:10-15 KJV  If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.  (11)  These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.  (12)  This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.  (13)  Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.  (14)  Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.  (15)  Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
  • Mat 4:4 KJV  But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
  • Mat 7:21 KJV  Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
  • Joh 8:25-32 KJV  Then said they unto him, Who art thou? And Jesus saith unto them, Even the same that I said unto you from the beginning.  (26)  I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him.  (27)  They understood not that he spake to them of the Father.  (28)  Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.  (29)  And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.  (30)  As he spake these words, many believed on him.  (31)  Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;  (32)  And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.


The law of Christ is based on the words of the Father
Hence, it is clear to us that the words, sayings, and law of Christ are still based on the words, commandments, and will of God the Father. The law of Christ will never tell us to be hearer of God's words only; but doers of God's words. It can never be just believing only. When the gospel of John (Jn 3:16) told us that for God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish .., it did not mean believing Him as the Christ, the Messiah, the Saviour, or God only; it meant believe what He said, believe His words, or believe His commandments. When we believe what He said, naturally we would do His words. This is grace too. It is because only those who truly know grace or have grace can hear His voice, follow Him, and do His words:
  • Joh 10:25-30 KJV  Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.  (26)  But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.  (27)  My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:  (28)  And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.  (29)  My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.  (30)  I and my Father are one.
  • Luk 14:27 KJV  And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
  • Joh 8:30-32 KJV  As he spake these words, many believed on him.  (31)  Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;  (32)  And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
  • Joh 13:35 KJV  By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
  • Joh 15:8-11 KJV  Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.  (9)  As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.  (10)  If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.  (11)  These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.


If we know that we are sinners, we know that there is God's law 
Hence, all these show that there is law in Christ. When we quote John 1:17 The law is given by Moses; but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ, we could never use it prove that there is no more law in Christ. On the contrary, it shows that there is law and grace in Christ (but, of course, there is no more law of Moses).

A true believer who repents and confesses his sins knows God's laws
Please think, Why do we have to confess that we are the sinners or that we have sins before we accept Jesus Christ? It is because we need grace, and only when we know that we are the sinners, can we know the great value of grace. But why must we confess that we are the sinners? Why are we sinners? Is it because we are born sinners without any reasons? No, there must be a reason why we are born sinners. Is it because we are Adam's descendants? Yes, all the descendants of Adam are sinners. But what's the real reason? Hence, we must still go back to the root problem of sin: Why are all the descendants of Adam considered as sinners? In short, it is because Adam sinned - Adam sinned against God by disobedience, and disobedience would be meaningless if there is no law or commandment.
  • 1Jn 3:3-5 KJV  And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.  (4)  Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.  (5)  And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
Hence, it is ridiculous if we confess that we are the sinners; but deny that there is law. It is impossible to preach the gospel of repentance by telling the people that they are the sinners and that they can just change their minds, without telling them that there is God's law and that they have transgressed against God's law through Adam. However, if the sinners know that they have transgressed against God's law, they will know the value of grace and know why they need to repent. They will be born again with a heart and mind to keep the law of God conscientiously by the Spirit of God (with the mind of Christ to abide and continue in the words and the law of Christ). Yes, they may still fall or feel wretched like Paul. They may still need to war against the lawless flesh or the lustful desires of  'the sinful man', but they will be saved under the grace of God. When they keep the law of God, they will always be kept under the grace of God.  

A true believer, who do God's will, will still obey God's laws
Please think again, How do we know that a believer did not sin after he believed and became a true believer of Christ? Is it because he always confess that he is the righteousness of God? Is it because he never confess that he is a sinner or because he keep thinking and preaching that he is righteous? No. Is it because he did good works, prophesied, cast out demons, or preached the goodnews? No, we know that he did not sin because he obeyed God's commandments or he did the will of God ! If he did many things for God, but still disobeyed (like king Saul), how can we say that he did not sin? Hence, a true believer must still obey God's laws, besides doing good works, casting out demons, and preaching the words of God. He would not think, "Since I have committed adultery, sinned, or broken one law, it does not matter if I break all the laws of God." Instead, he will just keep on keeping the law of God no matter how many times he failed or how many laws he has broken.That is the true spirit of a believer, given by the Spirit of Christ.


::

No comments:

Post a Comment